Kallyope Appoints Franz Humer, Ph.D., as Chair of its Board of Directors
Kallyope, a clinical-stage biotechnology company discovering and developing novel, oral small-molecule therapeutics for diseases with high unmet need, today announced the appointment of Franz Humer, Ph.D., a distinguished global industry leader in the life sciences, finance, and investment, as the new chair of its board of directors.
Dr. Humer brings decades of managerial experience to the Kallyope board. He served for more than fifteen years as CEO and then chairman of Roche. Under his leadership, Roche rose to become one of the top three global pharmaceutical companies. He has served as chair of several international companies and currently serves as:
- Member of the board of directors, Allogene Therapeutics
- Chairman, HMNC Holding
- Member of the board of directors, Emil Frey Holdings
- Member of the board of directors, LetterOne
- Advisor, Breakthrough Properties (USA)
- Chairman, Humer Foundation
“Dr. Humer is an accomplished global business leader with extensive strategic and operational experience and an unprecedented track record of success in the biopharmaceutical industry. It is an honor to welcome him to Kallyope as chair of our board of directors,” said Jay Galeota, president and CEO, Kallyope. “Dr. Humer uniquely complements our already distinguished board of directors, at a significant time for our company. As we continue to advance our novel therapeutics in obesity and diabetes, gastrointestinal disease, and neurological disorders – and build our scientific and business operations – we will benefit from his tremendous knowledge and expertise.”
Dr. Humer earned a Ph.D. in law from the University of Innsbruck and an MBA at INSEAD. Following a career as a management consultant in Zurich, he joined Schering Plough Inc. in 1973, where he held several positions including general manager for a number of countries in South America and Europe. He joined Glaxo Holdings in 1981 and was appointed managing director of Glaxo Pharmaceuticals UK Ltd. in 1987. In 1989 he was elected to the Board of Glaxo Holdings plc, and in 1992, he became chief operating director for Glaxo’s worldwide (ex-US) operations. Dr. Humer joined Hoffmann-La Roche in 1995 as head of its pharmaceuticals division and as a member of the board. He was appointed chief operating officer in 1996, CEO in 1998, and chairman of the board of directors and CEO in 2001. From 2008 to 2014 he served as chairman of the board of directors of Roche Holding Ltd.
He has also served as chairman of Diageo plc, Citigroup New York, INSEAD, and the International Center of Missing and Exploited Children. He was a member of the board of Allianz SE, Jacobs Holding AG, Kite Pharmaceuticals, Temasek, Cydar Medical, and Neogene Therapeutics.
“I am privileged to join the Kallyope board of directors as chair at this exciting time for the company,” said Dr. Franz Humer. “The caliber of the Kallyope team, with their deep experience in drug discovery and development, track record of prior successes, and scientific accomplishment at the company to date, has created unique and important opportunities. I look forward to working closely with them to build the company and advance their meaningful work, which has great promise to address important unmet needs in human health.”
- Eloxx Pharmaceuticals Announces Final Data Assessment from Phase 2 Combination Clinical Trial of ELX-02 in Class 1 Cystic Fibrosis Patients Read more
- Verge Genomics Announces Positive Safety and Tolerability Data from the Phase 1 Clinical Trial of VRG50635, a Potential Best-in-Class Therapeutic for All Forms of ALS Read more
- DEM BioPharma Appoints Wendy Young, Ph.D., to Scientific Advisory Board Read more
- Confo Therapeutics Enters into Research Collaboration for GPCR-Targeting Antibody Discovery with AbCellera Read more
- Vyriad Announces Expansion of T-Cell Lymphoma Trial at Mayo Clinic Read more