Bausch Health Announces Thomas J. Appio As Chief Executive Officer
Bausch Health Companies Inc. (NYSE/TSX: BHC) (Bausch Health) today announced its full leadership team and Board of Directors, including Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Thomas J. Appio.1 Upon completion of the initial public offering (IPO) of the Bausch + Lomb eye health business,2 former CEO Joseph C. Papa will assume the role of chairman and CEO of Bausch + Lomb.
“It is an honor and privilege to lead Bausch Health at this pivotal time in its history, and I am excited for our future,” said Mr. Appio. “We are a global specialty pharmaceutical company with deep expertise in gastroenterology, hepatology, neurology, dermatology and international pharmaceuticals serving patients for more than 60 years.”
“As we begin operating as a separate organization, we will leverage our commercial capabilities to grow access to our therapies and expand our market reach, and we will invest in innovation and new business development to build a future product pipeline to address unmet needs. I look forward to leading our talented team of 7,000 global employees toward the exciting opportunities ahead,” continued Mr. Appio.
The Bausch Health executive management team, which is comprised of experienced leaders with years of expertise in their respective areas, includes:
- Thomas J. Appio, Chief Executive Officer
- Thomas (Tom) Vadaketh, Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Seana Carson, Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- Mirza Dautbegovic, Senior Vice President, Chief Operating Officer
- Kathleen Fitzpatrick, Senior Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer
- Jeff Hartness, Senior Vice President, Market Access, Commercial Operations & Government Affairs
- Cees Heiman, Senior Vice President, Europe and Canada
- Graham Jackson, Senior Vice President, Chief Quality Officer
- Tage Ramakrishna, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and President of R&D
- Robert Spurr, President of the U.S. business
- Fernando Zarate, Vice President, Latin America
In addition to the appointment of Mr. Appio as CEO and a member of the Board of Directors, Richard Mulligan, Ph.D., will be appointed to the Bausch Health Board of Directors.
Dr. Mulligan is currently the Mallinckrodt Professor of Genetics, Emeritus, at Harvard Medical School, after serving as the Mallinckrodt Professor of Genetics and director of the Harvard Gene Therapy Initiative from 1996 to 2013. He also serves as executive vice chairman of the Board of Sana Biotechnology, Inc. From March 2017 to October 2018, he served as a portfolio manager at Icahn Capital LP. Prior to that, he was a professor of Molecular Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a member of the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and chief scientific officer of Somatix Therapy Corporation, a drug discovery and development company that he founded. Dr. Mulligan was a founding partner of Sarissa Capital Management LP from 2013 to 2016. He was named a MacArthur Foundation Fellow in 1981.
Mr. Papa will remain in the role of chairman of the Board of Directors for Bausch Health until the full separation of Bausch + Lomb, at which time Robert N. Power will succeed as chairman.
Upon completion of the IPO, the Bausch Health Board of Directors will include the following individuals:
- Joseph C. Papa, Chairman
- Robert N. Power
- Thomas J. Appio
- Richard U. DeSchutter
- Brett Icahn
- Argeris (Jerry) N. Karabelas, Ph.D.
- Sarah B. Kavanagh
- Steven D. Miller
- Richard Mulligan, Ph.D.
- Russel C. Robertson
- Thomas W. Ross, Sr.
- Amy B. Wechsler, M.D.
Bausch Health will continue to be headquartered in Laval, Quebec, and will continue to trade on the New York Stock Exchange and Toronto Stock Exchange under its present symbol, “BHC”.
People In This Post
Companies In This Post
- Eloxx Pharmaceuticals Announces Final Data Assessment from Phase 2 Combination Clinical Trial of ELX-02 in Class 1 Cystic Fibrosis Patients Read more
- Verge Genomics Announces Positive Safety and Tolerability Data from the Phase 1 Clinical Trial of VRG50635, a Potential Best-in-Class Therapeutic for All Forms of ALS Read more
- DEM BioPharma Appoints Wendy Young, Ph.D., to Scientific Advisory Board Read more
- Confo Therapeutics Enters into Research Collaboration for GPCR-Targeting Antibody Discovery with AbCellera Read more
- Vyriad Announces Expansion of T-Cell Lymphoma Trial at Mayo Clinic Read more