New State of the Art CT Scanner Unveiled at Maidstone Hospital
A brand-new state of the art CT scanner which provides medical staff with clear sharp and distinct images at speed to help diagnose patients and support their care has been unveiled at Maidstone Hospital.
Funded by NHS Improvement at a cost of £850,000 as part of a programme of work to refresh and modernise equipment at the Trust, the Canon Aquillion One Prism has the ability to produce clear, detailed scans when a patient is unable to remain still for long periods of time, such as a child or those with painful internal injuries.
Mark Garrad, Radiology Clinical Services Manager, said: “It will predominantly be used by the hospital’s Emergency Department (ED) for patients who have been brought in with major trauma to the brain, liver, spleen, kidneys or bones, as well as inpatients and outpatients who may require a scan to diagnose conditions such as cancer and stroke.
However, thanks to the scanners increased image quality, staff will also be able to take detailed pictures of the heart and be able to see the blood flowing through the vessels, allowing cardiologists to check for heart conditions such as coronary heart disease, and make an assessment about how severe the condition is so they can plan the best course of treatment for the patient.”
The Aquillion One Prism replaces the previous scanner in the Gallagher Suite, named after the support the company showed to the hospital 16 years ago who generously donated to the hospital back in 2005. Pat Gallagher, Chairman of Gallagher Group Limited, launched a fundraising campaign in partnership with the Peggy Wood Kent Cancer and Leukaemia Fund, to help the hospital raise the extra £200,000 needed to buy the piece of equipment.
People In This Post
Companies In This Post
- Tvardi Therapeutics Appoints John Kauh, M.D. as Chief Medical Officer Read more
- Exact Sciences Launches OncoExTra™ Cancer Therapy Selection Test in the U.S. Read more
- Spectrum Science Receives Strategic Investment from Knox Lane to Fuel Continued Growth Read more
- Synergy Health Partners Selects Dr. Richard L. Makowiec as Chief Surgical Officer Read more
- TILT Biotherapeutics Announces Final Close of €22 Million Financing Round to Advance to Phase II Oncology Immunotherapy Trials Read more