Trinity Biotech Announces the $30 Million Sale of its Life Sciences Supply Business to Biosynth
Trinity Biotech, a leading developer and manufacturer of diagnostic solutions for the point-of-care and clinical laboratory markets, has announced it has entered into an agreement to sell its Fitzgerald Industries life sciences supply business, consisting of Benen Trading Ltd and Fitzgerald Industries International, to Biosynth for cash proceeds of approximately $30 million subject to customary adjustments. Biosynth is owned, amongst others, by KKR, Ampersand Capital Partners and management. The sale is expected to close in April 2023.
Trinity Biotech pursued this transaction as part of its plan to transform into a high growth innovator in diabetes care and decentralised monitoring and diagnostic solutions. Life sciences supply is no longer core to Trinity Biotech’s refined long-term strategy. This transaction is expected to significantly reduce the Company’s net debt (i.e., borrowings less cash) by approximately 40% and is an integral step in strengthening its balance sheet in line with its refined strategic focus areas. The Fitzgerald life sciences supply business generated revenue of approximately $12 million in the year ended 31 December 2022, and was EBITDA positive. The approximately $30 million cash proceeds from Biosynth includes funding to Fitzgerald Industries to allow it repay intercompany loans owed to Trinity Biotech.
The Company plans to initially use approximately $11 million of the proceeds of the sale to repay approximately $10.1 million of its senior secured debt held by Perceptive Advisors plus an approximately $900,000 early repayment penalty. In connection with this transaction, the Company has entered into an amendment to its senior secured term loan credit facility with Perceptive Advisors, which significantly reduces the Company’s minimum revenue covenants under that loan.
The Company believes that Biosynth, a supplier of critical raw materials to the life sciences industry, is an excellent fit for Fitzgerald Industries, and that Fitzgerald Industries will continue to flourish as part of Biosynth.
- Eloxx Pharmaceuticals Announces Final Data Assessment from Phase 2 Combination Clinical Trial of ELX-02 in Class 1 Cystic Fibrosis Patients Read more
- Verge Genomics Announces Positive Safety and Tolerability Data from the Phase 1 Clinical Trial of VRG50635, a Potential Best-in-Class Therapeutic for All Forms of ALS Read more
- DEM BioPharma Appoints Wendy Young, Ph.D., to Scientific Advisory Board Read more
- Confo Therapeutics Enters into Research Collaboration for GPCR-Targeting Antibody Discovery with AbCellera Read more
- Vyriad Announces Expansion of T-Cell Lymphoma Trial at Mayo Clinic Read more