Summit Therapeutics Closes Deal with Akeso to In-License Breakthrough Innovative Bispecific Antibody
Summit Therapeutics today announced that they have completed the closing of a definitive agreement with Akeso to in-license its breakthrough bispecific antibody, ivonescimab. Ivonescimab, known as AK112 in China and Australia, and as SMT112 in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Japan, is a novel, potential first-in-class bispecific antibody combining the effects of immunotherapy via a blockade of PD-1 with the anti-angiogenesis effects associated with blocking VEGF into a single molecule.
Summit is initiating development activities for SMT112 and will do so first in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) indications. The definitive partnership calls for Summit to receive the rights to develop and commercialize ivonescimab (SMT112) in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Japan. Akeso will retain development and commercialization rights for the rest of the world, including China.
In exchange for these rights, Summit committed to an upfront payment of $500 million to be paid in two installments. The first installment worth $300 million has been paid in conjunction with the closing of the transaction. Of the $300 million paid to Akeso by Summit Therapeutics, Akeso opted, in accordance with the definitive agreement, to convert approximately $25.1 million of the payment into 10 million shares of Summit common stock; the remaining $274.9 million was paid by Summit to Akeso in cash. The second installment of $200 million will become due on March 5, 2023 and will be paid by Summit in cash.
Going forward, Akeso will be eligible to receive regulatory and commercial milestones of up to an additional $4.5 billion. In addition, Akeso will receive low double-digit royalties on net sales in the Summit territories. In conjunction with the closing of the deal, Dr. Michelle Xia, Co-Founder, Chairwoman, and CEO of Akeso, has been appointed to the board of directors of Summit.
- Coeptis Therapeutics Secures Exclusive Rights to Negotiate the Acquisition of Transformational Cell Therapy Platform Read more
- SamaCare Partners with AmerisourceBergen to Offer Prior Authorization Platform to Specialty Practices Read more
- Lucy Therapeutics Appoints Neuroscience Drug Discovery and Development Expert Christopher J. Winrow, Ph.D., as Chief Scientific Officer Read more
- BGI Genomics Partners with Zentya to Launch Fecal DNA Test for Colorectal Cancer in Slovakia Read more
- PharmaVentures Establishes an Office in Seoul to Enhance Access for South Korean Biotechs Read more