Armata Pharmaceuticals Announces Completion of its Phase 1b/2a ‘SWARM-P.a.’ Study of Inhaled AP-PA02 in Cystic Fibrosis Subjects
Armata Pharmaceuticals, a biotechnology company focused on pathogen-specific bacteriophage therapeutics for antibiotic-resistant and difficult-to-treat bacterial infections, has announced that the last subject has completed the company’s Phase 1b/2a ‘SWARM-P.a.’ clinical trial of its lead candidate, AP-PA02, in cystic fibrosis (CF) subjects with chronic pulmonary Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection.
“We are very pleased to have completed Armata’s first multi-center, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial evaluating phage therapy in patients,” stated Mina Pastagia, MD, MS, Senior Vice President of Clinical Development at Armata. “Successful use of phage therapy has been reported in compassionate use cases, but its translation into standard clinical practice requires rigorous, systematic clinical trials. We look forward to evaluating the clinical data from CF subjects in our SWARM-P.a. study to take Armata one step closer to that goal.”
“The completion of SWARM-P.a. represents a critical milestone for our lead program and for Armata. I would like to once again express Armata’s gratitude to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for its ongoing support and guidance,” stated Dr. Brian Varnum, Chief Executive Officer of Armata. “This trial will provide critical information regarding inhaled delivery of phage, importantly, assessment of safety and tolerability of phage therapy in the CF population. Additionally, this first-in-human Phase 1b/2a study will provide critical insights for dosing paradigms required to meet microbiological endpoints. We anticipate topline data in the first quarter of 2023.”
In March 2020, Armata announced that it had been awarded up to $5 million in a therapeutic development award from the CF Foundation to advance development of AP-PA02. In October 2021, the Foundation subsequently made an equity investment of $3 million in Armata to further support this program.
- Eloxx Pharmaceuticals Announces Final Data Assessment from Phase 2 Combination Clinical Trial of ELX-02 in Class 1 Cystic Fibrosis Patients Read more
- Verge Genomics Announces Positive Safety and Tolerability Data from the Phase 1 Clinical Trial of VRG50635, a Potential Best-in-Class Therapeutic for All Forms of ALS Read more
- DEM BioPharma Appoints Wendy Young, Ph.D., to Scientific Advisory Board Read more
- Confo Therapeutics Enters into Research Collaboration for GPCR-Targeting Antibody Discovery with AbCellera Read more
- Vyriad Announces Expansion of T-Cell Lymphoma Trial at Mayo Clinic Read more