Charles River and Purespring Therapeutics Announce Gene Therapy Manufacturing Collaboration
Charles River Laboratories International and Purespring Therapeutics, a pioneering gene therapy company focused on transforming the treatment of kidney diseases, today announced a plasmid DNA contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) collaboration.
Supporting the first gene therapy platform targeting renal diseases, which affect approximately 840 million people, or around 10 percent of the global population, the program leverages Charles River’s established plasmid platform, eXpDNA™, and decades of experience at the Company’s plasmid DNA manufacturing center of excellence.
Purespring is engaged in the development of novel therapies which have the potential to stop or significantly slow down chronic kidney diseases for which there is no current therapy available, except for dialysis or transplantation. With an innovative focus on the podocyte, a specialized kidney cell type implicated in many kidney diseases, Purespring’s Adeno Associated Virus (AAV) based gene therapy presents a lower-dose, local delivery approach which maximizes both safety and efficacy, as well as lowering the cost of goods.
Expanding its comprehensive cell and gene therapy portfolio to span plasmid DNA, viral vector, and cell therapy production, through the acquisitions of Cobra Biologics, Vigene Biosciences, and Cognate BioServices in 2021, and in addition to recent expansion projects, Charles River offers end-to-end support and supply chain simplification for developers seeking to accelerate their program while ensuring the highest quality control. The eXpDNA plasmid manufacturing platform builds on Charles River’s proven plasmid DNA CDMO capabilities and processes, fine-tuned over decades successfully supporting vaccine and advanced therapy clients through clinical trials and beyond.
- NEC Establishes Subsidiaries in Europe for Strengthening Global AI Drug Development Business Read more
- Flare Therapeutics Further Strengthens Leadership Team with Key Executive Appointments and Promotions Read more
- Sensorion Appoints Khalil Barrage as Interim Chairman of the Board Read more
- Ablaze Pharmaceuticals Plans Development of Innovative GPC3 Targeted Radiopharmaceutical Therapy for Liver Cancer in Greater China Read more
- Hansa Biopharma Completes Enrollment in Phase 2 Study of Imlifidase in Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) Read more