Cambrian Bio launches Amplifier Therapeutics to Develop Clinical-Stage AMPK Activator
Cambrian Bio, a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on treating and preventing chronic diseases of aging, today announced the launch of its new pipeline company, Amplifier Therapeutics. The organization will develop ATX-304, a pan-AMPK (AMP-activated protein kinase) activator. Amplifier has acquired Betagenon AB, a Swedish biopharmaceutical company, which has discovered novel AMPK activators and will continue development as a part of the Amplifier team.
AMPK is a key energy sensor activated when energy levels in the cell are low. This mechanism increases ATP generation, bringing sugar from the blood into the cell, and mobilizing fat to produce more energy from fatty acids. AMPK is activated upon increased energy demand, such as exercise, fasting, and reduced oxygen supply. Our body’s ability to activate AMPK decreases as we age. Given the central role of AMPK in whole body energy regulation, AMPK activators have broad potential therapeutic applications in metabolic conditions, cardiovascular diseases, kidney diseases, and cancer.
“AMPK is one of the most sought-after drug targets in aging research,” said James Peyer, PhD, CEO of Cambrian Bio. “Amplifier and Cambrian are thrilled to work with the former Betagenon team and investors to develop a first-of-its-kind AMPK activator. ATX-304 has broad therapeutic potential and has demonstrated a favorable safety and tolerability profile in early clinical studies. A safe and effective AMPK activator could be a life-changing medicine for patients and have the potential to prevent major chronic diseases.”
- Eloxx Pharmaceuticals Announces Final Data Assessment from Phase 2 Combination Clinical Trial of ELX-02 in Class 1 Cystic Fibrosis Patients Read more
- Verge Genomics Announces Positive Safety and Tolerability Data from the Phase 1 Clinical Trial of VRG50635, a Potential Best-in-Class Therapeutic for All Forms of ALS Read more
- DEM BioPharma Appoints Wendy Young, Ph.D., to Scientific Advisory Board Read more
- Confo Therapeutics Enters into Research Collaboration for GPCR-Targeting Antibody Discovery with AbCellera Read more
- Vyriad Announces Expansion of T-Cell Lymphoma Trial at Mayo Clinic Read more