PrecisionOS Partners with Siemens Healthineers for VR-based Surgical Training Development
PrecisionOS® is now offering immersive virtual reality (VR) training in partnership with Siemens Healthineers. The module helps surgeons and technicians to practice the use of Siemens Healthineers’ mobile 3D C-arm Cios Spin for intraoperative quality control and surgical workflow guidance. Multi user, peer-to-peer training sessions will enable the exchange of surgical procedure knowhow on a virtual patient and will lead to an enhanced surgeon/technician collaboration.
“Providing better training for surgeons and technicians will promote better teamwork and experience for everyone in the OR,” says Danny Goel, M.D., orthopedic surgeon and CEO, PrecisionOS. “The result will be better patient care and improved OR safety.”
The importance of collaboration between the C-arm technician and the surgeon during surgery is illustrated in a case study, “Novel Application of Immersive Virtual Reality Simulation Training: A Case Report,” published in the August 2021 issue of JAAOS Global Research & Reviews. The paper details how a fourth-year resident, after practicing on PrecisionOS’ training module, successfully redid a surgery for slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE) using 10x less radiation vs the index procedure.
“PrecisionOS’ VR software allows for surgeons to practice and behave authentically as well as collaboratively in a hyper-realistic environment,” says Janine Weidling, Global Head of Education Services Advanced Therapies at Siemens Healthineers. “This increases the quality of procedure- and imaging-related skills for the users and provides them with more certainty, especially in demanding surgical cases.”
PrecisionOS is working to improve all training for the operating room. The company recently expanded beyond orthopedics into general surgery. The Siemens Healthineers partnership expands the company’s growing network of medical device partners. PrecisionOS works with many of the top 10 medical device companies.
- Eloxx Pharmaceuticals Announces Final Data Assessment from Phase 2 Combination Clinical Trial of ELX-02 in Class 1 Cystic Fibrosis Patients Read more
- Verge Genomics Announces Positive Safety and Tolerability Data from the Phase 1 Clinical Trial of VRG50635, a Potential Best-in-Class Therapeutic for All Forms of ALS Read more
- DEM BioPharma Appoints Wendy Young, Ph.D., to Scientific Advisory Board Read more
- Confo Therapeutics Enters into Research Collaboration for GPCR-Targeting Antibody Discovery with AbCellera Read more
- Vyriad Announces Expansion of T-Cell Lymphoma Trial at Mayo Clinic Read more